Do you have an area of expertise where you’d like to share your knowledge so that people can read and learn? If yes, then you should create an e-book.
An e-Book is an electronic book that can be read on most mobile devices. It is popular with people who have stories to tell and those who have something to sell. Also, an e-Book can be an effective way to drive traffic to your website.
With that in mind, creating your own e-Book does not have to be so much of a task. This article will guide you through the steps required to create an e-Book.
Steps to Create an E-Book
- Determine Who You Want to Write For
The first thing to do when creating an e-Book is to determine who you are pitching it to. When you identify who your target audience is, then research to see what you can learn about them. If you do not know your target market well, you are simply shooting blind.
- Choose a Killer Topic and Title
After looking at who you are writing for, the next thing to do is to come up with a topic and title that will appeal to them. What you are writing about should be able to address your audience’s problems or needs.
Make sure that you are knowledgeable and passionate about the topic you choose. If you have a personal experience to share on the subject, then it’s perfect. Your personal experience will add credibility and authority. Also, make the title as specific as possible to drive the expected customer action.
- Write, Edit, & Format
This is where the magic and the challenge happen. To write, you can use Google Docs because it has all the features you’ll need, and it is totally free.
Consider creating the content page or the draft outline first so that you’ll have a structure to work with. If you don’t want to do it that way, you may want to write down all your ideas first and then fix the layout later.
Try to make your e-Book as scannable as possible. Use headlines and subtitles, lists, and paragraphs to make it easy for your readers to get your points without having to digest large chunks of contents.
- Use stats and quotes that add value to your content. Add images and graphics to help illustrate your points.
- Use online grammar and spell checker to ensure there are no errors in your e-book before sharing.
Get someone to proofread your e-Book when you are done. It’s best if you get a knowledgeable person in your field or a professional editor, someone who isn’t your friend, so he won’t be scared to give an objective or harsh response.
- Create an E-Book Cover
A vital part of the process is to make a cover that is enticing enough to promote your e-Book. This will increase the perceived value of your e-Book and make it seem substantial. It’s best to hire a graphic designer to make you something professional since the cover is going to represent your entire brand.
- Convert to PDF File
Most e-Books are in PDF format because it’s recognized universally by PCs and Macs and works on all e-Book readers. It also makes for a consistent output.
And there you have your e-Book, ready to be published.
To publish your e-Book, here are our top 5 free e-Book Publisher picks
- Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing: this platform is massively popular, which means you can reach a vast audience through it.
- Smashwords: with this platform, your e-Book can reach many more retailers like Apple Books, Kobo, Barnes & Noble, etc.
- Apple iBook Author: this platform is a gateway to publish books in the Apple Books store. You’ll need a Mac system to use it.
- Lulu: this platform is an aggregator site that distributes e-Books to all the major retailers such as Amazon and others.
- Draft2Digital: it is also an aggregator site that distributes your e-books to retailers like Amazon, Kobo, iBooks, and Barnes & Noble.
In conclusion, to create an e-Book that will rock, you definitely need to put in work. However, it is a rewarding way to share your expertise, explore your passion, and increase your passive income. With these steps, you’ll be able to create and publish your own e-Books!